Water & Electricity Company (WEC), Saudi Arabia’s national water and electricity company, has announced that 10 global industry consortia have been pre-qualified to bid for the development, financing, engineering, procurement, construction, implementation, ownership, operation, maintenance and transfer of an independent sewage treatment plant (ISTP) close to the city of Taif, located in the Makkah province of Saudi Arabia.
The new Taif plant will have a treatment capacity of up to 270,000 m3/day and was commissioned by WEC earlier this year as part of the company’s ‘Vision 2030’ that acknowledges the crucial importance of ensuring the future reliable provision of sewage treatment services for the country’s residents.
The list of companies who successfully pre-qualified are:
- Acciona Agua
- China Gezhouba Group Co., Ltd.
- Cobra Instalaciones y Servicios, S.A., International Water Distribution Company (TAWZEA)
- FCC Aqualia, Alkhorayef Group
- Marubeni Corporation
- Metito Utilities Limited, Power and Water Utility Company for Jubail and Yanbu (Marafiq), Mowah
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd., Miahona Company
- Orascom Construction
- Samsung Engineering Company Limited
- Suez Groupe
The Taif ISTP has numerous leading industry experts in the advisory role, including Mizuho Bank, financial advisor; White & Case LLP is the legal advisor and WS Atkins & Partners Overseas Engineering Consultants were chosen as technical advisers.