Autodesk Water
Connecting Waterpeople
Autodesk Water Webinar Series - April 30th, 10h (UTC+1)

ACWA Power appointed preferred bidder for Taweelah IWP

  • ACWA Power appointed preferred bidder for Taweelah IWP
    Abu Dhabi (cc/Wikipedia)

About the entity

Abu Dhabi’s Department of Energy (DoE) appoints Saudi Arabian utility developer ACWA Power preferred bidder for the US$1.2 billion Taweelah desalination independent water project (IWP), according to IJGlobal.

In October, ACWA Power and its partner Abengoa, had submitted the lowest bid at $0.49 per cube to design, finance, operate and maintain the IWP, which is to be located 45km north of the city of Abu Dhabi. The other six bidders were:

  • Suez International Power SA Dubai Branch (Engie), with Marubeni Corp.
  • Sumitomo Corp, with Veolia Middle East.
  • Valoriza Agua, with Utico FZC and IDB Infrastructure Fund II.
  • Cobra Instalaciones y Servicios, with Orascom Construction.
  • Acciona Agua, with Pal Group.
  • Suez International, with Sojitz Corporation and NV Besix SA.

ACWA Power will sign a DBFOM contract with DoE.

ACWA Power will own 40 percent of the plant and DoE will own the other 60 percent.

The Taweelah desalination IWP will have a production capacity of 200 million gallons per day (MIGD) of water, making it the largest reverse osmosis desalination plant in the world.

The construction of the plant is scheduled for 2020-21 and commercial operations are due to start in 2022.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Topics of interest

The data provided will be treated by iAgua Conocimiento, SL for the purpose of sending emails with updated information and occasionally on products and / or services of interest. For this we need you to check the following box to grant your consent. Remember that at any time you can exercise your rights of access, rectification and elimination of this data. You can consult all the additional and detailed information about Data Protection.

Featured news