Water Europe released on Thursday its policy report on the conference Water Innovation Europe 2023, ‘EU Water Policy – What’s next?’, which concluded in June, bringing together over 180 participants from around Europe.
The report discusses the need for a European Water-Smart strategy, emphasizing the importance of water as a vital resource. It highlights key sessions and speakers from the Water Innovation Europe 2023 event, including discussions on water policy, innovation, and sustainability. Hansgrohe, a sponsor of the event, presents a "Green Vision Beyond Water" that rethinks bathroom water usage.
The report also outlines recommendations for making water a political priority, developing a holistic water strategy, and focusing on water efficiency. Finally, it introduces the Water Europe Vision for a Water-Smart Society, emphasizing core values and objectives to achieve water security, sustainability, and resilience.
Water Europe highlights five key recommendations to take from the event:
- Develop and deploy a Water-Smart Strategy for 2024-2029 in Europe, while considering water-related challenges and opportunities for each legislation in Europe.
- Support research and innovation, including global partnerships, and embed a specific focus on water and nexus interlinkages.
- Overcome barriers to unlock access to the best available solutions across Europe and beyond, including digital solutions.
- Create a dedicated fund to leverage financial tools beyond innovation to ensure water resilience, sustainability, and security.
- Foster cross-sector partnerships through Water-Oriented Living Labs, by involving local communities, academia, and industry, embracing diverse perspectives.