The EU Water Alliance has released its new Manifesto which aims to highlight the pressing water challenges Europe faces and to set out the key actions required to overcome them. Water issues are set to become the most pressing challenge for Europe in the coming years, as underlined by the recent 2020 UN Report. Europe must get ready to prevent water-related disasters by making our society resilient.
During this legislature, some key water-related legislation may be revised. What should our targets be to prevent water crises? What decisions should be made to have a sustainable water-driven growth and what is the way towards a Water-Smart Society & Circular Economy?
EUWA Manifesto: Key messages
- Achieving a Water Smart Society is key to solving and preventing water crises.
- Green growth is the opportunity to reboot Europe after the COVID19 crisis, and it cannot be a success without water.
- We need to uphold and fully implement the high environmental standards.
- Supporting Nature-based solutions is an imperative.
- Boosting digitalisation is at the core of better resource management and a water-driven sustainable growth.
- Water-oriented Living Labs are vital to support local authorities and engage dialogue with citizens.
The EU Water Alliance is a coalition of European members-based organisations representing the wide range of water stakeholders across the entire value chain (associations, NGOs, universities, large water users, SMEs, water operators, and local authorities).